Monday, 18 June 2012

Korean Phone Input Method

Some phones (especially older ones) have strange input systems for typing Hangeul, and they can be a bit confusing. Here's how one of mine works:

This is a UK phone (although made by a Korean company), but it had Korean in the language options



As you can see in the picture, the keys are like this:

ㄱ    ㄴ    ㅏ/ㅓ
ㄹ    ㅁ    ㅗ/ㅜ
ㅅ    ㅇ    ㅣ
        ㅡ 

To type ㅃ, ㅉ, ㄸ, ㄲ or ㅆ, I need to press ㅂ, ㅈ, ㄷ, ㄱ or ㅅ respectively, and then press that '쌍자음' button at the bottom right, which will change the 'single' letter to a 'double' letter.

To type ㅋ, I need to press ㄱ followed by the '획추가' button at the bottom left.

To type ㄷ, I press ㄴ followed by 획추가. I then press 획추가 a second time to change ㄷ to ㅌ.

To type ㅈ, I press ㅅ followed by 획추가. I then press 획추가 a second time to change ㅈ to ㅊ.

To type ㅂ, I press ㅁ followed by 획추가. I then press 획추가 a second time to change ㅂ to ㅍ.

To type ㅎ, I press ㅇ followed by 획추가.

To type ㅑ, ㅕ, ㅛ or ㅠ, I type ㅏ, ㅓ, ㅗ or ㅜ respectively, followed by 획추가.

To type ㅐ, ㅔ, ㅒor ㅖ, I type ㅏ, ㅓ, ㅑ, or ㅕ respectively, followed by ㅣ. So for example if I want to type ㅖ, I first press theㅏ/ㅓbutton twice to get ㅓ, then press 획추가 to change it toㅕ, then press ㅣ to finally get ㅖ.Confused yet?

This system is a little bit too complicated (actually, everything about this phone is really rubbish). My other phone is way more simple, as it just has a 'keep pressing the same button until you get the letter you want' system:

 This my Korean phone (although made by a Taiwanese company!). Cheapest smartphone ever but I love it. Why is the photo so crap? Because it was taken by the other phone above.
The keys on this one are like this:

ㄱ/ㅋ    ㄴ/ㄹ    ㅣ/ㅡ    ㅏ/ㅑ
ㄷ/ㅌ    ㅁ/ㅅ    ㅂ/ㅍ    ㅓ/ㅕ
ㅈ/ㅊ    ㅇ/ㅎ    ㅗ/ㅛ    ㅜ/ㅠ

and this is what you get from each key if you just keep pressing it:

ㄱ/ㅋ/ㄲ        ㄴ/ㄹ         ㅣ/ㅡ/ㅢ      ㅏ/ㅑ
ㄷ/ㅌ/ㄸ        ㅁ/ㅅ/ㅆ     ㅂ/ㅍ/ㅃ     ㅓ/ㅕ
ㅈ/ㅊㅉ         ㅇ/ㅎ          ㅗ/ㅛ          ㅜ/ㅠ

But it still has some silimilarities to the other phone's method! Because to make ㅔ, ㅐ,  ㅒ or ㅖ, you need to type ㅓ, ㅏ, ㅑ or ㅕ respectively, followed byㅣ. Once you know that, it's easy.

Good luck typing in Hangeul on your phone!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete